When I was told that for my first college
class I would have no tests and no essays, I got pretty excited. Upon being
told that most of the writing we were going to be doing for a Writing 121 class
was going to be on a blog on a subject of our own choosing, I got even more
excited. Then the reality hit me that I had no experience choosing a topic for
my writing that would lead me to make a compelling point, and my excitement
quickly turned to familiar school-related anxiety.
From the beginning, I knew one thing about
my topic: I wanted it to be bigger than myself and my interests. If you like
blues music, nature, and skateboarding, add me on Facebook. This, unlike the
aforementioned private personal profile, is posted publicly on the internet for
the whole world to read if they so choose. I didn’t want yet another reason for
the world to think that all of the youth of today are self-absorbed and
ignorant. Though I don’t consider myself either of these things, I felt I
didn’t know enough about the world, and isn’t that what college is all about? I
don’t say this to insult anyone who chose to write their topic on a specific
interest instead of social issues, scientific breakthroughs, or historic
events; meaningful metacognition and philosophic epiphanies can be manifested
through any medium, as long as you’re thinking.
To choose my topic I began thinking about
all the things I had been hearing lately, whether it be from various forms of
media or through conversation with other people. I've been noticing a
discomfort in the balance of power between ordinary citizens and the public
officials that we have elected; a disdain for those given authority even though
we were the ones who allowed them to be put into that position. Whether it's
because they have let us down in what we thought would be accomplished by
electing them or they had a different agenda in mind that we fear might
actually be set into motion. Whatever the case may be, people are worried.
What happens when people in a democracy
lose trust and faith in the people they elect? Or even worse, what happens when
people find fault in a leader who wasn't elected but rather forced their way
into a position of power, or never trusted this person in their public quest
for personal gain in the first place? In essence, I'm wondering how people are
affected when a sense of distrust in the governing bodies of a nation comes
about, especially when a way of life is forced upon a group of people by
someone whom they never wanted to have that much control over their lives. I
could begin answering this question in too many different ways to, so where do
I begin?
How does it impact people when they are
given a leader that they do not have faith in? What about when they lose faith
in someone that they once decided would be the best person for the job? Do they
lose their sense of community and nationality, or can they still have trust in
their neighbors and just question those people that they don't know? Will
people being given a leader that they don't want cause them to have a general
sense of weary towards mankind as a whole, or will they find people who hold
the same values to the same degree of importance as they do just to reassure
themselves that they aren't the only ones? What about when they are right in fearing
their leader, or rather conqueror or dictator, when their rights and freedoms
are stripped away and their cultures begin to slowly fade? It seems that my
question has only raised infinitely more questions, ones that might be answered
by imaginary scenarios and how people think they would react, but could be
answered much more thoroughly by looking at history and the very real effects
of people who had lack of faith in their leaders, with or without good reason.
History provides many fine examples of the tragic and, alternatively, inspiring
situations that can result when a large percentage of people are governed by
someone they don't believe in. So again I ask where to begin?
I've decided that in each post on this
blog, I will focus on a different place on earth and time in history, including
modern times, when the people's distrust in their governing bodies was in
obvious display and in full force. With each post, I'll describe the conflict
and the causes that it arose from and examine them to find some sort of
parallels in my life.
As an 18 year old Caucasian American male,
I have experienced little to no political strife or unjust persecution in my
life thus far. That said, I wouldn’t be surprised by someone questioning my
choice in topic. Why would someone who has never been personally subjugated to
persecution, or even any relative degree of unfairness, by the government be so
concerned with people who have? Simply put, I hope to maintain this status as a
free thinking individual. By looking at the ways that others have gained this
right is a good way to learn how to keep myself from one day losing it.
On top of wanting to maintain my rights to
think and question, I’d like to discover a little more about what causes people
like me to be so skeptical when someone tells us something, especially when it
comes from someone that we really don’t have any reason to trust, like
politicians for example. I don’t believe most people when they tell me what the
weather will be like on any given day, much less whether or not there are
weapons of mass destruction in the hands of people who intend to use them
against me. And most of the time, I personally know the people who I ask about
the weather.
I don’t mean to pick on any particular
politician in our country; I like to believe that at least half of them were
hopeful college students hoping to make a difference in the world for the
better at one point or another, based on whatever morals they had at the time.
However, the fact that for the most part they identify with one of two parties
causes me to find fault in the political system in our country today, and
really how it’s been since the beginning of our nation. Certainly each
politician’s personal views are more specific than the labels “democrat” and
“republican” can communicate. Sure these labels can make voting a less
stressful task for some; they vote for the person who identifies with the same
party as they do. However, I believe that voting shouldn’t be a stressful task
in the first place. I’d much rather take the time to learn about the person I
cast my vote for and make sure that we feel the same about as many issues as
possible than have to fight against whoever we elect if every American adult
went into the voting booth with no clue what any of the issues were, or even
what the parties stood for. This is why I have trouble placing my trust in any
politician who doesn’t recognize this fault, not to mention the seemingly
justified opinion that the bipartisan system seems to create stagnation in our
government, especially in Congress.
Up until now this sounds an awful lot like
an opinion-based, idealistic and pessimistic rant. Though that sort of writing
can be entertaining and often times effectively drive home your point, I like
to think that my opinions are based in fact, at least the ones I share with a
public audience in a forum that is based in education. To demonstrate this I’d
like to share a few statistics that give my ideas a little credibility.
Let’s start out with the “leader of the
free world”, our current president Barack Obama. I wasn’t incredibly surprised
to find out that his most recent approval rating is just 43%, while 51%
disapprove and the remaining 6% either were undecided or didn’t respond. If we
compare this to our former president, George W. Bush, we find that in this time
in 2005, which means he was in office the same amount of time into his
presidency that Barack Obama is currently into his, we find that his approval
rating was 39%, with 57% disapproving and 3% failing to respond definitively or
at all. These numbers were just as expected. Yes, they have debatably the
hardest job in the world, but if your work was approved only 43 or 39 percent
of the time, you’d be fired. Now some might say that people will disapprove of
a president that isn’t part of their political party 10 out of 10 times, but
even still that leaves a large group of people who disapprove of their
president even when their political affiliations are the same. So should these
people be concerned about the fact that over half the population of our country
disapproves of them, and if they aren’t is there anything we can do about it?
I’d say yes and yes, but will leave it at that in order to avoid more opinions
about what I think could be done. I’ll get back to the numbers.
The statistics I found shocking were those
relating to the highest legislative body in our country, the U.S. Senate.
Currently, our senate has an astonishing 5% approval rate, with an 83%
disapproval rating. Upon further investigation, I was a little less surprised
by these numbers when I found out how little Congress actually does. From 1999
to 2010, a total of 2657 total bills were passed by Congress. This number seems
high, but considering it averages out to be about 5% of the total bills, it
doesn’t seem like they are doing much for us to approve of.
I think most Americans would agree that
our public officials should be working together for the good of the citizens of
our nation and the world, especially those who can’t help themselves, as long
as these citizens don’t believe that harming others is going to bring them any
fortune. I believe that eventually the goal would to be having the government
play little to no role in our lives, allowing the citizens of the world to
rationally and peacefully solve our differences, as if the government is our
parents and we are children waiting to grow up. However, some people will
always be corrupt, and so having some system there to put these people in check
is for the greater good. Instead, what I see in our government is people split
into two groups arguing amongst themselves over issues that are only pertinent
to a percentage of people. Yes, these issues should be resolved, but not by
arguing about the morals behind the issues from two different sides while not
actually working toward a mutually beneficial solution. A football game has
teams; a nation should be united if anything worthwhile is going to be
accomplished. For all of these reasons, I’ve chosen to examine what happens
when people lose trust in those who govern them, for it seems that we are
moving closer and closer to the possibility of history repeating itself as a
greater percentage of Americans come to realize that our government is not
doing what it should be.
As a final thought on the state of our
current political situation and, in effect, the final thought of this entry of my
blog, we cannot claim to be the moral standard and the greatest country on
earth at the same time; a truly great and moral nation would understand that we
individually, and therefore we as a whole, are part virtue and part vice. Our
nationalistic ego is much too large for us to be anywhere close to the greatest
nation on earth, for it keeps us blind to the possibility of expanding our
virtues and eliminating the vices. Any nation that believes it is the greatest
nation on earth is in reality far from it.

Bibliography
Peters, Gerhard. "Presidential Popularity Over
Time." Presidential
Popularity Over Time. The American Presidency Project, n.d. Web. 14 Oct.
2013.
Tauberer, Joshua. "Kill Bill: How Many Bills Are There?
How Many Are Enacted? : GovTrack.us Blog." GovTrackus Blog RSS.
GovTrack.us, 4 Aug. 2011. Web. 14 Oct. 2013.
Richinick, Michelle. "Congress Approval Rating Plummets
To 5%." MSNBC.
MSNBC, 9 Oct. 2013. Web. 15 Oct. 2013.
No comments:
Post a Comment